Tuesday, September 4, 2012

August 28, 2012 - First day of school

Greer and Cooper thought morning came awfully early today.  It definitely wasn't easy for them to get up at 6:00 am, though they did manage to drag themselves out of bed.  They don't really need to be woken up quite that early, but they like to have a little time to lounge in bed before they actually have to get moving.  They also definitely do not like to be rushed at the breakfast table.  This morning Cooper was taking a very long time at breakfast.  All he was having was a smoothie, and he didn't appear to have made much progress.  I said to Drew, "He's been at the table for over 20 minutes. What's he been doing?" Before Drew could answer, Cooper chimed in, "Frolicking."  I guess he was more awake than I thought.

Of course, I had to take my traditional first day of school picture.  They let me take pictures in front of our apartment and in front of the building, but they drew the line at getting on the bus. 



Now, to tell you about the first day, here are the kids.

Cooper's first day:
My first day of school was pretty good. I got a nice teacher, but none of my good friends were in my class. Since I didn't go to the student orientation, I didn't really know what to do in the first part of the day, but afterwards I was fine. We also got homework on the first day of school!!!! I know, crazy!! and I wouldn't say it was a little bit.
(Note from Jen: Cooper didn't go to the student orientation the Friday before school started because, as with the middle school orientation, we had not gotten any indication that it was for returning students as well as new students.  It wasn't until the night before, after some communications from a few friends, that I realized it was also for returning students.  It was not mandatory (like the middle school one was) and the kids already had a piano lesson scheduled for Friday morning, so he missed the orientation.  Poor communication from ASIJ.)

Greer's first day:
Well, we started out in HR with a rocking science teacher, (excuse the pun) and after 35 minutes (it usually is 15) we headed off to period one. Also, we had school orientation the day before so we only were in advisory for a little while. At period one, I met my LASS teacher, Mr. Loveman! He is hilarious, doesn't believe in giving tons of HW (he believes in studying but he only gives you work that you can possibly finish in class); in other words, HE is the BEST!!! It was SO awesome even though we spent the whole block period (periods one and two) talking and watching trains... long story. Mr. Loveman is a long story. (His wife is a swim coach for ASIJ swim team) Then we went to Math for two periods (periods 3 and 4) and we did an assignment about patterns and how to calculate what will happen in step 10 or 50 and stuff like that. Other questions we answered were like, "if we had fifty slashes, what step would we be on?" Really fun!  Mrs. Whick is my math teacher and for some odd reason she reminds me of my Aunt Jen in so many ways. (Science is tomorrow, with my advisor, Mr. Dohrenwend). Guess what, though? (completely off topic) I had to change my password on my email cuz someone tried to hack it in the States and in Germany! Anyways, it was time for lunch, and I had already bought my school supplies this morning so no need to do that now. I met with Zoe at our old LA/SS teacher's classroom, Mrs. Erwin (who still is the best female LASS teacher ever!!! because Mr. Loveman is cool too.....). I have no classes with Zoe :'(! Mrs. Erwin thinks it is cruel how we had all of our classes together last year and then we had no classes together this year in both semesters.....  So meanl!!!!!  After lunch I went to PE with Mrs. Vriend (Mr. Vriend teaches the 8th graders during period 5). We just went over the rules and were told that we would get our PE lockers the next day. We played basketball for the rest of the period. Oh, I forgot that during lunch I went to get a new lock cuz the office threw away all the records of our combinations that we told them because they didn't think that they might need them next year!!!! Urgh. Don't worry, mom and dad, I spent my own money because I forgot my combo and couldn't find the paper with the combination on it. Sorry. Next I had Spanish class taught  by a Latin American so that I can get every tidbit right, down to the accent. (oh, and I had HW in math and in Spanish) ?Me llamo Greer, Como te llamo? Mucho Gusto!!!! After Spanish I had Invent and Engineering with Mr. Knapp (awesome science teacher). We have to do a report on garbage, (my partner and I) with hannah. Then, I stopped by the kiosk to pick up a binder, some dividers, and one more notebook. By then, it was time to board bus 7 home.

How was your first day?
Greer


No comments:

Post a Comment