Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Jan. 11, 2012 - Greer's first day

Greer's going to write about her first day of school, but first, I'll share a picture from my trip to the grocery store today.
I don't know if you can see the labels in the picture clearly enough.  Have I found the oils, the vinegars, or neither?  I wish I knew.....
    

     Hi! I am going to tell you about my first day. . . So at 6 o'clock, we woke up got ready for the day and all that. I know that some of you would dislike your mom or dad walking you to your bus stop everyday for the first week, but without them, I would need to start walking to my bus stop at 5:30 in order to find my way! After boarding the 30 minute bus ride I fiddled around with my iphone. When I arrived at school, I had no idea how to get to the office from the buses. So, I asked a nice 7th grader named Alice if she could help me find my way. After I arrived at the office, Zoe and I got our schedules printed. Zoe is a new kid like me and I could tell we were going to be friends right away!
We walked together to our homerooms and then departed. Some nice kid named Diva in my Home room walked me to beginners band after home room. Mr.Wanless, my band teacher, made me feel right at home. Lucky for me, I knew two of the percussionists, Connor (my peer guide) and Julie (someone on my swim team). They helped me with the xylophone, but guess what? It is set up exactly like a piano so it was very easy to learn. After that I had art! Yeah! We worked on drawing Mona Lisa upside down and working on twine figures. Since me and Zoe had art together, we headed off to Mrs. Harvey's class for math. We worked on average . . . wait, she did not tell us specifically what we were working on. She just told us write about average. As we were going over it, it sounded like maybe clothing size. After math we had lunch (finally)! Instead of a lunch account, you use lunch tickets which you can purchase from a machine at the kiosk. Steps to getting your lunch:
     1. Grab a tray and silver ware.
     2. Tell the lunch lady what you want (Spaghetti, soup, chicken nuggets, clementine, etc.)
     3. When she hands you food, pay with a lunch ticket. Usually a 550 ticket is best so you can get a main meal and side/fruit with one ticket and you don't get change or you don't have to pay with multiple tickets.
     4. Eat lunch
     5. Put your tray in a stack, scrape your left overs into food trash, pile up your plates.

After lunch, we had LA/SS (Language Arts and Social Studies) with Mrs.Erwin. So far, mine and Zoe's favorite teacher is Mrs.Erwin! She is sooooooo nice and made sure we understood everything and she told us about stuff we would be doing! She got us started on DLR's and weekly vocab. Since Zoe and I did not know how to do much on the computer, she sent us down to Mr.Erwin and Mrs.Kim (Technology teachers) to learn more about how to use our computers (by the way, we get pcs this year and next year we get macs). After LA/SS, I went to study center and typing skills to improve my typing. After last period, I boarded the bus home.
     Some of you might have some questions so I am going to try to answer some possible questions.
Math, LA/SS, and Science have 2 periods each.
I did not have science or P.E. today because there are 2 different types of days, a A day and a B day.
Every day I have LA/SS.
There is a late bus which I take on days I have swim practice.
And no, I still can't find my way to the bus stop.


Japanese word of the day:  hirugohan  (click to hear pronunciation) means "lunch"

1 comment:

  1. Great post! We all loved learning about the details of school. I bet by the end of week 2 you'll be an expert at getting to the bus stop.

    ReplyDelete