Monday, January 30, 2012

Jan. 30, 2012 - Taiko

ASIJ offers various extracurricular activities after school.  Some of them, like an interest club or an athletic team, are free, and others are classes in which outside instructors are brought to the school, which is done for a fee.  This can be quite convenient since otherwise it could be quite a challenge to get your child to an after school activity.  Instead, they sign up for a class at ASIJ, stay late on the appropriate day, and then take the late bus home.  Very easy for me!  Cooper chose to take a taiko class (you can see a picture and a video about taiko in the Jan. 3 post).  I asked Cooper to write about his taiko class:

I have a taiko class after school on Mondays.  Taiko is Japanese drumming.  My teacher is very loud, and he/she sometimes yells "Yahhh!" and then we all hit the drums like crazy.  (I can't tell if my teacher is a boy or a girl.)  We just finished a piece called "Running Horse," and now we're starting a piece called "Dragon Country and Tiger Country."  We each have our own drumsticks to keep.  The drums are in the music classroom at school.  We don't read music in the class.  We follow what the teacher does.  We bang the drums when he/she bangs his/her drums and then we get into the rhythm of it and know what to do.  After taiko class, I take the late bus home.

No comments:

Post a Comment